Sunday 10 April 2011

Perambulate No More - Meet Wilhelm.

Welcome to Perambulate No More, yet another blog to add to the existing eleventy billion or so car blogs out there.  This blog is really quite self serving, a place for me to ramble and share pics about cars that have grabbed my interest for whatever reason.  There will be pictures and info about my own car, projects I might be involved in, cars I see when out and about, shows, and probably a few internet clippings too.  I'm going to try and avoid reposting information from existing blogs, but if something is *really* interesting to me, I'll provide links accordingly.

Seems only sensible to introduce you to the most important car in my life, Wilhelm the 1985 Volkswagen (or Gothwagen, as he's usually called) Polo.  If you want the full story it's best to run over to the Retro Rides forum and read his build thread:  But for now here's a short slide show of him.


As bought, way back in 1999.  He played second fiddle to the family's burgundy red with tan leather Volvo 740 saloon.

First attempt to get him back on the road after being in hibernation for a while, I think this was in 2008 or 2009.  Satin black paint to tidy things up and a retrimmed interior that wouldn't last.


Sadly, not much happened after he failed his MoT (strut top bushes and emissions) and money ran out for everything.  He sat on my parent's drive for many years with the odd tinkering happening.  This was about 2010.

Early 2011, looking rough as a badger's arse, money had picked up and it was rescue time.

A bit later in 2010 on a fine day.

At dusk, in March 2011, on new wheels with new suspension.  Not a fantastic photograph.

He passed his MoT with no advisories and I'll be picking him up for the 70-80 mile drive home next Sunday.  Should be an exciting journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment